Thursday, December 15, 2005

Oh Chocolat


As if I need another addiction.

I just brewed up some drinking chocolate. This is not the hot chocolate that all of us are used to drinking after a skate at the rink. This is high test. This is exotic. This is indulgence.

Trevis at Black Pearl Coffee tipped me off that he'd have some in stock soon. I was familiar with the product after sampling Starbucks' version, called Chantico, a few months back. I stopped in Tuesday and picked up a bag. Black Pearl's stock is the Soma brand and it's laced with ginger, orange peel, vanilla, chili peppers and a blend of spices. The mixture get brewed up on the stove and whisked until smooth. Serve it like espresso.

It's thick, spicy and unique. Pair it with a few of those Venezuelan choco-covered beans (also at Black Pearl) and you have to wonder who needs illicit drugs when there are so many organic alternatives.