Monday, December 12, 2005

Be Selfish this Holiday Season



With the holiday season upon us, I thought I'd share the editorial I wrote that appeared in yesterday's issue of Winnipeg Life magazine. (Also check out www.CanadaHelps.org/GiftCards/charity_gift_card.aspx)


I was in search of an answer. Why does it feel good to give? Handing over a pretty package will give you some warm fuzzies but donating your time or cutting a healthy cheque takes you up to a whole new level.

After much research that wasn’t getting me anywhere, I stumbled upon a reference to a book called The Healing Power of Doing Good: The Health and Spiritual Benefits of Helping Others. It seems Dr. Allan Luks has the answer.

Luks is the former executive director of the Institute for the Advancement of Health and executive director of Big Brothers/Big Sisters of New York City. He published his book in 1991 after conducting a study with more than 3,000 volunteers of all ages. His survey asked volunteers how they felt when they did a kind act. After a computerized analysis, he saw a clear cause-and-effect relationship between helping and good health.

“Helping contributes to the maintenance of good health,” he said. “And it can diminish the effect of diseases and disorders both serious and minor, psychological and physical.” That’s a good enough reason for me.

Luks’ volunteers confessed to feeling a rush of euphoria, followed by a longer period of calm, after performing a kind act. He called this feeling helper’s high. Apparently the act of giving causes the body to release its natural painkillers, the endorphins. Who knew? Imagine getting a tax receipt and a rush of endorphins.

In some strange way, the act of giving is a selfish one. “I donate because I know there’s always a need,” said an anonymous source. “But more than that, it’s because it makes me realize how fortunate I am. And really, it just makes me feel really, really good inside.”

This issue of Winnipeg Life is packed with fabulous fashion, funky stories and a gift guide that will put the finishing touches on your holiday shopping. Read it, embrace it, then put it aside and be a little selfish. Go get some of that helper’s high.

Happy holidays.

Shel Zolkewich
Editor