Friday, April 14, 2006

First English, then Ukrainian


With Easter just a few days away, my thoughts have turned to the Easters I remember most. Ukrainian Easters. When I was growing up, English Easter in our house was only half of the equation. A few weeks later, and according to the Julian calendar (April 23 this year), we'd celebrate all over again.

Ukrainian Easter was a religious and somewhat more subdued affair. But it happened later in the year which meant the ditches around Poplarfield would be gushing with spring runoff and the pussy willows would be out in full force. That meant after church and after a meal, we were free to roam, explore and of course, get the mother of all booters.

One of my favourite things I wrote is a piece about Ukrainian Easter. Of course I wrote it in pre-electronic days so I have no idea of I could find a hardcopy or not. But I'm going to try.